Monday, January 21, 2013

Totally Useless Observations


Well folks, we're halfway to spring. We can officially start the countdown. Yes, I know we will probably have a lot more cold weather, but it makes it a little easier for me to take if I know we're getting closer to the end. It's the opposite of the wino who keeps the sack over the bottle so he can't tell when the end is coming. See the difference? I didn't think so. Never mind.

  • Is anyone else tired of hearing about Lance Armstrong? He lied, he's banned, end of story. Oprah is trying to save her struggling network by having some sensational interview with a cheater. I didn't watch it and I really don't care. I don't know of anyone who follows bicycling, do you? Bottom line is we have a guy who finally admits to cheating in a sport that nobody watches. And everybody already knew he was cheating anyway. I guess there's some news in there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
  • Then there's poor Manti Te'o. And by poor I mean stupid. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't imagine having a "relationship" online for months with someone I never met. How can you call someone your girlfriend when you've never seen them? And then to talk about their disease and mourn their death on national television? Give me a break! I can't imagine taking this guy in the NFL draft and expecting that he can learn complicated defenses. As gullible as he is, he'll fall for the play fake every time. Oh, and I see where Katie Couric has landed the (their words) 'coveted' interview with Te'o. Well, I'm sure that will be enlightening for all of us. Set your DVR's now!
  • Is there a chance we may have saturated the reality tv market? I mean, really, Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty? Is there no limit to how low we will go for entertainment? I watch my share of mindless television, but don't we have to draw the line somewhere? Do we Southerners really need any help lowering our perception in the eyes of the rest of the world?
  • I'm glad Green Bay is out of the playoff picture. Now I won't have to hear the term 'frozen tundra' again until next season.
  • I'll close with another opinion on the gun control issue. I've said before, I don't have any problem banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. I have to draw the line, though, with arming teachers and janitors. Come on, is that really the answer? How about we arm them all with a Bible and see how that works? Seems to me we'd be better off having God in our schools than guns. Given the choice of trusting my grandchildren's safety to a janitor with a Glock or to the Lord, I think I'll take the Almighty every time. Seemed to work out ok for Daniel in the lion's den.

Till next time..........

No comments:

Post a Comment