Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Random Ruminations for 2013


Happy New Year! Well, here we are in 2013. As that great philosopher, Willie Nelson, once said "if I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." How true! I had my share of medical issues in 2012 and I'm looking forward to a better new year, God willing.

We have a lot of crazy stuff going on (what else is new!). Here are some thoughts on recent events, in no particular order of importance:

  • I heard today that Congress has an 18% approval rating, the lowest ever. That is truly surprising to me. Who are the 18% who approve? I don't know of anyone - not a single person - who approves of anything they're doing up there. Evidently 18% of the people in the US are related to Congressmen. Only a mother could approve of that mess.
  • Good news! The 'fiscal cliff' has been averted! Now all we have to deal with is the debt ceiling cliff, the budget cliff, the tax cliff, and the entitlement cliff, not to mention the national debt cliff. Sadly, we don't have anyone in Washington on either side of the aisle or at either end of Pennsylvania Avenue with enough guts to do what has to be done. The bottom line is that we're going to have to raise taxes on more than the wealthy and we're going to have to make some serious sacrifices in what they call 'entitlement programs' and other spending. Unfortunately, it won't happen. They all know what needs to be done, but you can't get re-elected by raising taxes and cutting out the pork for your district. So they just keep kicking the can down the road and hoping for a miracle. In the words of Lee Iacocca, "Where have all the leaders gone?"
  • Speaking of entitlements, it torques me when I hear Social Security referred to as an 'entitlement'. I'm entitled to it because I've paid more into it than I will ever get back. Let me give you a better example of an entitlement. How about the benefits of the House and Senate that give you a full pension after 8 years with full medical benefits for life? Now that's an entitlement. So don't whine to me about my Social Security while I'm paying your retirement and insurance.
  • Congratulations to the Baseball Writers' Association of America for getting it right. They failed to elect Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa, or Mark McGwire to the Baseball Hall of Fame. And it wasn't even close. Finally, a group who has the good sense not to reward the cheaters. On that note, I see where Lance Armstrong is going to be interviewed by Oprah Winfrey and he might even admit to taking performance enhancing drugs. See, that's the part that bothers me. Deny it, deny it, deny it, deny it, then after you get caught, admit it. That really takes a lot of courage. 'Live Strong', my behind.
So here's wishing all of you a prosperous new year. May God bless us all in 2013 and may everything we do honor Him.

Till next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment