Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Remember Me?



Well, it's been a while - almost two years. I'm not sure why I took such a long hiatus. Maybe I just ran out of things to say, although my friends and family would surely disagree. Since I last posted to this site I've had cancer and lived to tell about it. I've had several heart procedures and lived to tell about them. Heck, there's enough right there to fill several blogs. Another time, maybe. But it's good to be back. I'm not sure how often I'll post, but hopefully more often than every two years! So tell your friends and stay tuned.

We've all been horrified by the events of last week in Newtown, CT. What a tragedy. So much has been written and shown about it that I'm reluctant to even mention it. I'm sad for the families and the town. I'm sad for our culture for allowing this kind of stuff to happen all too often.

I'm also mad. I'm mad at these gun-waving nut jobs who hold fast to their "right to bear an assault rifle with a magazine that holds dozens of rounds." I don't think that's what the Founding Fathers had in mind. Now don't get me wrong, I'm about as conservative as they come. I own a couple of handguns, a couple of rifles, and a shotgun. I haven't fired any of them in years, but I still have them. I believe it is my constitutional right to own them. I can hunt, I can protect myself, I can do just about anything that most Americans need to do with a gun. But I don't own an assault rifle and I can't understand why anyone would want to. And I don't think outlawing them infringes on my rights whatsoever.

Someone out there is saying that the shooter could have killed all those kids with a pistol just as easily as with the assault rifle. I disagree. At the very least, it would have taken him longer and maybe law enforcement could have gotten to him before he took so many innocent lives.

And while we're on the subject of the gun-wavers, there is a lot of talk in our State about allowing guns in cars at work, guns in restaurants, guns in parks, even some saying we should allow teachers to go armed in schools. What's wrong with these people? How could any of that possibly be a good idea?

I continue to be amazed at the lack of common sense in this country. As a matter of fact, they should call it something else because it really isn't all that "common" anymore. On so many issues that are important to our well-being and our future, we have totally gone off the deep end. Isn't someone in charge of thinking this stuff through before we do it? Well, they should be. We could even give them a title. We could call them.... Congressmen.

Till next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment